Image Compression Based on Deep Learning: A Review
Asian Journal of Research in Computer Science,
Image compression is an essential technology for encoding and improving various forms of images in the digital era. The inventors have extended the principle of deep learning to the different states of neural networks as one of the most exciting machine learning methods to show that it is the most versatile way to analyze, classify, and compress images. Many neural networks are required for image compressions, such as deep neural networks, artificial neural networks, recurrent neural networks, and convolution neural networks. Therefore, this review paper discussed how to apply the rule of deep learning to various neural networks to obtain better compression in the image with high accuracy and minimize loss and superior visibility of the image. Therefore, deep learning and its application to different types of images in a justified manner with distinct analysis to obtain these things need deep learning.
- Image compression
- artificial neural networks
- deep learning
- recurrent neural networks
- convolutional neural networks
How to Cite
2. Venugopal D, Mohan S, Raja S. An efficient block based lossless compression of medical images. Optik (Stuttg). 2016;127(2):754–758,.
3. Zebari DQ, Zeebaree AM, Abdulazeez H Haron, Hamed HNA. Improved threshold based and trainable fully automated segmentation for breast cancer boundary and pectoral muscle in mammogram images,” IEEE Access, 2020;8:1–20.
4. Han S, Mao H, Dally WJ. Deep compression: Compressing deep neural networks with pruning, trained quantization and Huffman coding,” 4th Int. Conf. Learn. Represent. ICLR 2016 - Conf. Track Proc. 2016;1–14.
5. Ding JJ, Chen HH, Wei WY. Adaptive golomb code for joint geometrically distributed data and its application in image coding,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. 2013;23(4):661–670.
6. Poolakkachalil TK, Chandran S, Vijayalakshmi K. Analysis of application of arithmetic coding on dct and dct-dwt hybrid transforms of images for compression,” 2017 Int. Conf. Networks Adv. Comput. Technol. NetACT. 2017;288–293.
7. Andrews, Pratt W. Fourier transform coding of images. Proc Hawaii Int Conf Syst Sci.1968;677–679,
8. Pratt, Kane J. Hadamard transform image coding. Proc. IEEE. 1969;57:1.
9. Abdulazeez M, Zeebaree DQ, Abdulqader DM. Wavelet applications in medical images: A Review,” Transform. 2020;21:17625–17276.
10. Ahmed N, Natarajan T, RaoK K. Discrete cosine transform,” IEEE Trans. Comput. 1974;100(1):90–93.
11. Albalawi U, Mohanty SP, Kougianos E. A Hardware Architecture for Better Portable Graphics (BPG) Compression Encoder,” Proc. - 2015 IEEE Int. Symp. Nanoelectron.InfSystiNIS. 2015;291–296.
12. Li M, Zuo W, Gu S, Zhao D, Zhang D. Learning convolutional networks for content-weighted image compression,” Proc. IEEE Comput. SocConfComput Vis Pattern Recognit. 2018;3214–3223,.
13. Zaineldin H, Elhosseini MA, Ali HA. Image compression algorithms in wireless multimedia sensor networks: A survey. Ain Shams EngJournal. 2015;6(2):481–490.
14. Saeed, J., &Abdulazeez, A. M. (2021). Facial Beauty Prediction and Analysis Based on Deep Convolutional Neural Network: A Review. Journal of Soft Computing and Data Mining, 2(1), 1-12..
15. IEEE MR, Ahmed S, Alone. Image Compression using neural network. Int J InnovSci Mod Eng. 2014;2(5):24–28.
16. Dharwal R. Applications of Artificial Neural Networks: A review. Indian J Sci Technol. 2016;9(1):1–8,.
17. Bargarai FAM, Abdulazeez AM, Tiryaki VM, Zeebaree DQ. Management of wireless communication systems using artificial intelligence-based software defined radio. Int J Interact Mob Technol. 2020;14(13):107–133.
18. MisraJ, Saha I. Artificial neural networks in hardware: A survey of two decades of progress. Neurocomputing. 2010;74(1–3):239–255.
19. KaşkavalciHC, Gören S. A deep learning based distributed smart surveillance architecture using edge and cloud computing,” Proc. - 2019 Int. Conf. Deep Learn. Mach. Learn. Emerg. Appl. Deep. 2019;1–6.
20. Abdullah, S. M. S., &Abdulazeez, A. M. (2021). Facial Expression Recognition Based on Deep Learning Convolution Neural Network: A Review. Journal of Soft Computing and Data Mining, 2(1), 53-65.
21. Hussein P, Kandel CW, Bolan MB Wallace, Bagci U. Lung and pancreatic tumor characterization in the deep learning era: Novel supervised and unsupervised learning approaches. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2019;38(8):1777–1787,.
22. GovindaE, Indira Dutt VBSS. Artificial neural networks in UWB image processing for early detection of breast cancer. Int J Adv Sci Technol. 2020;29(5):2717–2730.
23. Schiopu Y Liu, Munteanu A. CNN-based prediction for lossless coding of photographic images,” 2018 Pict. Coding Symp. PCS 2018 - Proc. 2018;3:16–20.
24. Luo YW, Li Y, Han FJ, Huang SB. Grading image retrieval based on CNN deep features. Int. Conf. Adv. Commun. Technol. ICACT, vol. 2018-Febru, 2018; 148–152.
25. Lipmann RP. Introduction to computing with Neural Nets,” IEEE Assp Mag. 1987; 4(2):4–22,.
26. Li Gu S, Van Gool L, Timofte R. Learning filter basis for convolutional neural network compression,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Vis. 2019;5622–5631.
27. H Dathar, Abdulazeez AM. A Modified Convolutional Neural Networks Model for Medical Image Segmentation, learning. 2020;20:20.
28. W Li,Pan Q, Liang S, Jiao JY. Research on fractal image compression hybrid algorithm based on convolutional neural network and gene expression programming. J Algorithms Comput. Technol. 2019;13.
29. Abdulazeez M, Zeebaree DQ, Asaad D, Zebari GM, Mohammed I, Adeen N. The applications of discrete wavelet transform in image processing: A review. J Soft Comput. Data Min. 2020;2(1):31–43.
30. Fu X, Zha ZJ, Wu F, DIng X, Paisley J. JPEG artifacts reduction via deep convolutional sparse coding. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Vis. 2019;2501–2510.
31. Theis L, Shi, W. Lossy I. mage compression with compressive autoencoders. ICLR. 2017;1–19.
32. Tiwari G. A Comparative study on Image and Video Compression Techniques, IOSR J. VLSI Signal Process., 2013;3(3):69–73,.
33. Hu Y, Member S, Yang W, Ma Z, Member S. Learning End-to-End Lossy Image Compression: A Benchmark. Electr. Eng. Syst. Sci. 2020;2:1–15,.
34. Rusyn O, Lutsyk Y, Lysak A. Lukenyuk L. Pohreliuk. Lossless image compression in the remote sensing applications. IEEE First Int. Conf. Data Stream Min. Process. 2016;195–198,.
35. Kurihara S. Imaizumi, Shiota S. An encryption-then-compression system for lossless image. IEICE Trans Inf Syst. 2017;100(1):52–56.
36. Fred L, Kumar SN, Ajay Kumar H, Abisha W, Bat optimization-based vector quantization algorithm for medical image compression. Springer International Publishing. 2019;150.
37. Abdulqader M, Abdulazeez AM, Zeebaree DQ. Machine learning supervised algorithms of gene selection: A review,” Technol. Reports Kansai Univ. 2020;62(3): 233–244.
38. Lecun Y, Bengio Y, Hinton G. Deep learning,” Nature. 2015;521:7553:436–444,.
39. Zeebaree Q, Haron H, Abdulazeez AM, Zebari DA. Machine learning and Region Growing for Breast Cancer Segmentation,” 2019 Int. Conf. Adv. Sci. Eng. ICOASE. 2019;88–93.
40. Bodyanskiy YP, Grimm S. Mashtalir, Vinarski V. Fast training of neural networks 2 architecture of two layers ann for finding principal,” ICDM. 2010;165–173.
41. Deng. A tutorial survey of architectures, algorithms, and applications for deep learning,” APSIPA Trans. Signal Inf. Process. 2014;3.
42. Abdulazeez M, Hajy DM, Zeebaree DQ, Zebari DA. Robust watermarking scheme based LWT and SVD using artificial bee colony optimization,” Indones. J ElectrEngComput Sci. 2020;21(2):1218–1229.
43. Bahi, Batouche M. Deep learning for ligand-based virtual screening in Drug Discovery,” Proc. - PAIS 2018 Int. Conf. Pattern Anal. Intell. Syst; 2018.
44. Mahmood R, Abdulazeez AM, Orman Z. A new hand gesture recognition system using artificial neural network,” 2nd Int. Sci. Conf. ZAKHO. 2017;1–14.
45. Dong C, Loy C, He K, Tang X. Image super-resolution using deep convolutional networks,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 2016;38(2):295–307.
46. Kim J, Jung Kwon L, Kyoung Mu L. Accurate image super-resolution using very deep convolutional networks. Proc. IEEE Conf. Comput. Vis. pattern Recognit. 2016;1646–1654.
47. Wang Z, Liu D, Chang S, Ling Q, Yang Y, Huang TS. D3: Deep dual-domain based fast restoration of jpeg-compressed images. Proc. IEEE Comput. Soc. Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recognit. 2016;2764–2772.
48. Mohammed, S. B., &Abdulazeez, A. M. (2021). Deep Convolution Neural Network for Facial Expression Recognition. PalArch's Journal of Archaeology of Egypt/Egyptology, 18(4), 3578-3586.
49. Blanco M Delgado, Pegalajar MC. A real-coded genetic algorithm for training recurrent neural networks. Neural Networks. 2001;14(1):93–105.
50. MedskerL, Jain LC, Eds., Recurrent Neural Network: Design and application. London: CRC Press; 2001.
51. Doroshenko VA. Primenenieanalogovykhvychislitel’nykhmashindliaanalizaélektroéntsefalogrammy. NervSist. 1969;10:192–196.
52. Zeebaree Q, Abdulazeez AM, Mohammed O, Hassan S. Hiding Image by Using Contourlet Transform; 2020.
53. Jorgensen TD, Haynes BP, Norlund CCF. Pruning artificial neural networks using neural complexity measures. Int. J. Neural Syst. 2008;18(5):389–403.
54. Yu L, Zhang Y, Han H, Zhang L, Wu F. Robust median filtering forensics by CNN-based multiple residuals learning,” IEEE Access. 2019;7:120594–120602.
55. Jahwar, MohsinAbdulazeez A. Meta-heuristic algorithms for k-means clustering: A review. PalArch’s J Archaeol. Egypt/Egyptology. 2020;17(7):12002–12020,
56. Ji S, Xu W, Yang M, Yu K. 3D Convolutional neural networks for human action recognition,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 2013;35(1):221–231,.
57. ZeebareeD, Abdulazeez AM, “Evaluating Data Mining Classification Methods Performance in Internet of Things Applications. J Soft Comput. Data Min. 2020;1(2):10–25.
58. Zeebaree DQ, Abdulazeez AM, Zebari DA, Haron H, Hamed HNA. Multi-level fusion in ultrasound for cancer detection based on uniform LBP features. ComputMater Contin. 2021;66(3):3363–3382.
59. S. I. Saleem, A. M. Abdulazeez and Z. Orman, "A new segmentation framework for arabic handwritten text using machine learning techniques," Computers, Materials & Continua, 2021;68(2):2727–2754,.
60. Gu J, Wang Z, Kuen J, Ma L, Shahroudy A, Shuai B. Recent advances in convolutional neural networks. Proc. IEEE Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recognit. 2019;10629–10638,
61. QaderZeebaree D, Habibollah H, MohsinAbdulazeez A. Gene selection and classification of microarray data using convolutional neural network. Int. Conf. Adv. Sci. Eng. (ICOASE), IEEE. 2018;145–150.
62. Chen Y, Peng F, Kang X, Jane Wang Z. Depthwiseseparable convolutional neural network for image forensics,” 2019 IEEE Int. Conf. Vis. Commun. Image Process. VCIP. 2019;1–4.
63. Omar AM, AbdulazeezSengur A, Al-Ali GS. Fused faster RCNNs for efficient detection of the license plates. Indones. J. Electr. Eng. Comput. Sci. 2020;19(2):974–982.
64. Yamashita R, Nishio M, Do RKG, Togashi K. Convolutional neural networks: An overview and application in radiology,” Insights Imaging. 2018;9(4):611–629.
65. Gu K, Zhai G, Yang X, Zhang W. Deep learning network for blind image quality assessment. Int Conf Image Process. 2014;511–515,.
66. YZ. Watkins and M. R. Sayeh, “Image Data Compression and Noisy Channel Error Correction Using Deep Neural Network. ProcediaComput. Sci. 2016;95: 145–152,.
67. Deng H, Liu H, Wang F, Wang Z, Wang Y. Image compression based on genetic algorithm and deep neural network,” Commun. ComputInf Sci. 2016;681:417–424.
68. Hussain, Jeong J. Efficient deep neural network for digital image compression employing rectified linear neurons. J. Sensors. 2016;1–7,.
69. Toderici et al. Variable rate image compression with recurrent neural networks,” 4th Int. Conf. Learn. Represent. ICLR 2016 - Conf. Track Proc. 2016;1–12,
70. Sun X, Li X, Zhuo L, Lam KM, Li J. A joint deep-network-based image restoration algorithm for multi- degradations,” IEEE Int. Conf. Multimed. Exp. 2017;1–6.
71. Jiang F, Tao W, Liu S, Ren J, Guo X, Zhao D. An end-to-end compression framework based on convolutional neural networks,” IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst Video Technol. 2018;28(10):3007–3018.
72. Shi W, Jiang F, Zhang S, Zhao D. Deep networks for compressed image sensing,” arXiv. 2017;92:877–882.
73. Toderici et al. Full resolution image compression with recurrent neural networks,” Proc. - 30th IEEE Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recognition, CVPR. 2017;5435–5443.
74. Cheng Z, Sun H, Takeuchi M, Katto J. Deep convolutional auto encoder-based lossy image compression,” 2018 Pict. Coding Symp. PCS 2018;253–257.
75. Zeng S, Tan B Li, Huang J. Large-scale jpeg image steganalysis using hybrid deep-learning framework. IEEE Trans. Inf. Forensics Secur. 2018;13(5):1200–1214.
76. MinnenD et al. Spatially adaptive image compression using a tiled deep network,” Proc. - Int. Conf. Image Process. ICIP, vol. 2017-Septe, 2018;2796–2800.
77. Mentzer F, Agustsson E, Tschannen M, Timofte R, Van Gool L. Conditional Probability Models for Deep Image Compression,” Proc. IEEE Comput. Soc. Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recognit. 2018;4394–4402.
78. Peixoto E, Hung EM, De Campos T. Multi-Mode Intra Prediction for Learning-Based Image Compression,” IEEE Xplore. 2018;1296–1300.
79. Akyazi, Ebrahimi T. A new end-to-end image compression system based on convolutional neural networks. 2019;22.
80. Li S, Zheng Z, Dai W, Xiong H. Lossy image compression with filter bank based convolutional networks. Data Compression Conf Proc. 2019;23–32.
81. Zheng B, Chen Y, Tian X, Zhou F, Liu X. Implicit dual-domain convolutional network for robust color image compression artifact reduction. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. 2020;30(11):3982–3994.
82. Guo Li D, Li X. Deep OCT image compression with convolutional neural networks. Biomed Opt Express. 2020;11 (7):3543,.
83. M Li, K Ma J. You D, Zuo W. Efficient and Effective Context-Based Convolutional Entropy Modeling for Image Compression,” IEEE Trans. Image Process. 2020;29(1): 5900–5911.
84. Hoang TM, Zhou J, Fan Y. Image compression with encoder-decoder matched semantic segmentation. IEEE Comput. Soc. Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recognit. Work. 2020;619–623.
85. H Liu et al. Deep Learning-Based Picture-Wise Just Noticeable Distortion Prediction Model for Image Compression,” IEEE Trans. Image Process. 2020;29:641–656.
86. Krishnaraj S, Mohamed Elhoseny N, Thenmozhi M, Mahmoud Selim M. Deep learning model for real-time image compression in Internet of Underwater Things (IoUT),” J. Real-Time Image Process. 2020;6(17):2097–2111.
Abstract View: 50 times
PDF Download: 71 times